Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Am I old enough to have a teenager?


He is not quit a teenager, he is 11! But he may as well be a teenager. I think I am going to spend the rest of my life explaining Preston to the rest of the world. He takes some understanding. I don't like blaming everything on his "ADHD" but this also takes some understanding. I recently did a thesis for school on whether or not ADHD was over diagnosed or too quickly diagnosed. If you don't understand what it really is then yes, it is over diagnosed. I learned about this disorder before I let his Doctor diagnose him with it. I also need to re learn a lot about it when he is trying my patience each day. When I get a call from the school about something he did. Or even a call from his old school about something he did. I mean on my heck...his old school calling me because he is causing problems there..he doesn't even go there anymore. Yet he makes his way over there to cause problems. Maybe I give him too much freedom....but he is a lot like me......he has to learn the hard way. So I give him his boundaries and I give him certain freedoms after his responsibilities are full filled. It is a daily struggle with Preston, however, he is so much like me. That is a scary thought for any of you that knew the younger me!!

1 comments:

Shalise said...

Monica,
He is a darling boy! I think you have done great with him, he seems to be a great kid... I struggled with ADHD my whole life. Sometimes you feel like your someone else when your on the medication (I did anyways), that was back in the Ritalin era... I know it is hard to deal with.. Your such a great Mom and you can see in your pictures how much your kids just love you! Keep up the hard work.
I talked w/a Dr. up at the U and he did state that kids are over diagnosed, sometimes it is just there personality and the way they are!
Sounds like he is just a lot like you!
Take care...